Willkommen an der Technischen Hochschule Nürnberg
Technische Hochschule Nürnberg Georg Simon Ohm


In 2013, the university was renamed Technische Hochschule Nürnberg Georg Simon Ohm in recognition of the applied research and educational quality of our programs. We are very proud of this recognition, but also of the history preceding and culminating in the achievement.

The university was established on August 1, 1971, following the Bavarian Law for Universities of Applied Sciences passed on October 27, 1970. The university is a corporation under public law. The state of Bavaria is the bearer of the requirements. Major academic disciplines include engineering, business administration, social studies and design.

The inititative of focusing on engineering was born in one of the oldest polytechnics in Europe, the "Municipal Polytechnic Institute" which was founded in 1823 by Johannes Scharrer, Nuremberg´s mayor and patron of the German railroad system.
When the school was nationalized in 1833, the physicist Georg Simon Ohm became a member of the staff and was director of the institute from 1839 to 1849.
After first being called an "Industrieschule" (Industrial School) and "Königlich Bayrisches Technikum" (Royal Bavarian Polytechnic), later "Höhere Technische Staatslehranstalt" (Higher Education Technical Institute), the school was renamed "Ohm-Polytechnikum Nürnberg" in 1933 to honor Ohm and to commemorate its one hundredth anniversary.
After the Municipal Building School was disbanded in 1935, the Department for Structural Building was incorporated.

The business subjects available evolved from the "Höhere Wirtschaftsfachschule" (Higher Business School), which had been founded in 1963.

The social studies subjects evolved from the "Höhere Fachschule für Sozialarbeit (Higher School for Social Work) since June 1, 1963" and from the "Höhere Fachschule für Sozialpädagogik" (Higher School for Social Education) since September 1, 1968. The original institutions had been founded in 1925 and 1927 respectively.

The so-called "open art room" and the "Höhere Fachschule für Grafik und Werbung der Stadt Nürnberg" (Higher School for Graphics and Advertising of the City of Nuremberg) were founded in 1910 and they were the precursors of the Faculty of Design.

On August 4, 1983 the polytechnic in Nuremberg was officially renamed "Georg-Simon-Ohm-Fachhochschule Nürnberg" by decree of the Bavarian state parliament. Thus the traditional name for the largest institution had been reinitiated, honoring the renowned physicist, Georg Simon Ohm, who had lectured at the original institute and had been its director from 1839 to 1849.


Training Tomorrow's Managers for the Global Market

Learn about the International Office, our services and programs

Language and Cultural Competence

Advanced Training in Management and Business Administration